To remove your confusion regarding Part B plans, allow yourself a couple of minutes to read this article.
Medicare part B provides coverage for services given by physicians and nurses, diagnostic and laboratory tests, X-rays, blood transfusion, outpatient hospital procedures, pneumonia and influenza vaccination, limited ambulance transportation, renal dialysis, immunosuppressive drugs and other outpatient treatment given in doctor’s offices. Medications given by the doctor to the patient during an office visit are also included in the doctor coverage.
Durable Medical Equipments or DME are also covered under the Part B plan. This equipment includes walkers, canes, wheelchairs, and mobility scooters. Prosthetic devices like breast prosthesis after mastectomy and artificial limbs, as well as oxygen for home use and pairs of eyeglasses are also covered.
Basically, products and services excluded from Part A are covered under Medicare Part B plans, including outpatient expenditures. If a person’s spouse is already working than Part B is optional and therefore can be deferred. The coverage starts as the patient meets his or her deductibles. The patient is required to pay just 20%, while the remaining 80% is taken care of by Medicare.
Eligibility and Enrollment Procedure
As a person is two to three months short of turning 65, he or she is sent a package containing their membership card and information booklet. The premium is deducted from the social security or government benefit on its own. In case the person does not want to get enrolled in Part B, they can send a filled in form given in the package.
On the other hand, if a person is not enrolled automatically in Part B, than it can be done around three months prior to 65th birthday. The coverage will however start when they turn 65. For enrollment the person can contact any of the social security office.
How much does Part B cost?
The premium amount is based on the tax returns of the past two years. People whose income levels have dropped considerably can contact the Medicare and request for premium adjustment. People, although eligible, for some reason were not able to enroll in the plan will be required to pay ten percent higher premium each year due to delay in Medicare enrollment.
What is not included in Part B coverage?
How much does Medicare Part B cover?
Where can one find more information?
Any person is free to contact any of these carriers if they have any complaints or questions regarding doctor coverage. The name and the contact information of the concerned carrier are given on the upper right corner of Medicare Summary Notice. This information can also be had from the website of Medicare.
Understanding Medicare Bureaucracy can be a daunting task, but the benefits are equally sweet as a person learns to navigate through them.